My Blog List

Monday, June 8, 2015

=As the Pig Says=

The bathroom was getting steamy and my face was disappearing
                     when I realized that I walked into
our marriage like the theater.
                                                    I took a seat.
I snapped the ticket stub inside my purse
already thinking “souvenir.”
                                                     I knew you really
didn’t love me. It was like I’d seen the reviews
beforehand, like I’d read the novel.
                                                     I knew the action
was staged, the deathbed scene a performance
worthy of an Oscar
but my tears were 100% real! What strange alchemy!
               I just wanted to be entertained.
               I just wanted to feel something.
               How else can I explain it?
                                       I fooled myself and let myself
forget I was making a fool of myself. I suspended my
disbelief, that’s what they say we should do
if we expect to enjoy the show.
That’s what the ticket stub was for.
So I could reclaim it when the final credits rolled.
                                    I don’t hold you responsible
any more than the actor who played the killer
on the screen. Only a lunatic would.  Still, I’ll admit
I nearly jumped out of my skin
when that green hand reached up and grabbed her ankle.
I was so mad when you laughed at me, my heart
was racing a mile-a-minute, just like the critics
said it would. “It’s not funny!” I was indignant.
You put your hand over your mouth,
a gesture of good will, I guess, but
you were still laughing through your fingers. We didn’t have sex for a week. There hasn't been a straight line
of dialogue between us since. 
You were right, though, I realize now, 
palming a circle in the glass to see my face
before it disappears again. I can laugh about it now
                                                      & that’s all that counts.
As the pig says,
“That’s all folks!”

No comments:

Post a Comment