My Blog List

Thursday, June 18, 2015

=Incident Report=

My father turns from the closet
with a rifle in his hands.
On the bed my mothers sits
a school book on her lap.
She waits for me to finish spelling
the word
half-hanging from my open mouth.

I have told this story
many times.
It is all that is left of me.
So I am trying to get it right.

The window behind my father
is always half-lifted to the night.
It is summer. My mother says,
“Do something.”
My father, stepping forward, says
“What is he going to do, Anna?”

Little details are always coming back
like fish picking pieces of colored gravel
from the bottom of the quiet aquarium
and spitting them out again
having mistaken stone for food.

The gun, by chance, is momentarily level
with my heart.
This is how we die, I realize,
just as randomly, as suddenly,
as irrationally as this,
without preamble or meaning;
I discovered surrealism
that evening.

I feel myself leave my body
and float passed my father through the window
the way you do in a dream
to keep yourself from seeing yourself dead.
I did the impossible.
My father sees the vacancy
in my pale face
and decides right then to file for divorce.
He knows he’s been misunderstood;
he’ll never again sleep easy in this house.
Now, I terrify him,
a faceless voodoo doll
all stuck with pins
with his name sewn inside
in place of a heart.

The bullet wasn’t meant for me.
But it took me decades
to understand this
too late.

My mother will forget the entire incident.
Or claim to.
My brother doesn’t factor in.
As for me,
I never returned.
But I look in at the window
from time to time.

What was the word
I never finished spelling?
Who is that girl

sitting in my place?

No comments:

Post a Comment