My Blog List

Sunday, March 22, 2015

=Any Questions?=

From an upstairs window
I watched my father
run from the burning house. He carried
with him two bottles of booze,
a rifle, a stuffed parrot
on a pole, not much,
all considered. The baby blue Bonneville
backed out of the driveway 
into thin air. I went back to bed
but I didn't believe in it anymore.
As I was saying earlier, one problem
with the aquarium is you cannot
turn the channel and the carnage
is relentless. That's two problems
but we're having a sale today,
no extra charge. For some time now,
a small muscle in my right eye
has been failing. Everything is twitching,
like it's been trying to outstare me
and doesn't want to blink. Looking up
there's a field of pale, long-necked creatures
with flat featureless faces
swaying autistically to unheard music
in the void whenever I ask, "Are
there any questions?"

No comments:

Post a Comment