My Blog List

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

=Visual Recipe: sausage/broccoli rabe/cheese quiche=

This is a crustless quiche since my husband is on a no-carb caveman diet & the theory is that cavemen were always on the go- go-go. They wouldn't have hung around the cave long enough to bake pie crusts, even if they had been inclined to bake quiches which, based on the latest fossil evidence, they weren't, not even French cavemen. 

They also didn't live much beyond the age of 27, but their diet is supposedly the healthiest diet possible for Homo Sapiens, according to no-carb proponents, so go figure that one out, if you can. 

Anyway, instead of a crust it's Pam & grated parmesan cheese at the bottom of the pan. For me the crust is always the best part of a quiche, but it doesn't matter...


because I won't be eating this quiche because I don't eat meat (so apparently I wouldn't have lasted long in prehistoric times) and this is a sausage quiche and sausage is meat any way you grind it. Instead I'll be eating this:
But that's besides the point. The point is the quiche I'm making so let's get back to it.


More cheese goes on top of the meat…this is grated asiago and white cheddar. 


Rest assured: no cats were harmed in the making of this quiche. But they were plenty annoyed at not being the center of attention.

You can't break an egg without making a quiche, not today, anyway. 


Other stuff involved: salt, two tablespoons of butter (soon to be melted in the microwave), a diced cippolini onion, a cup and a half of milk, and more grated cheese. 


Left-over broccoli rabe that I made the other night. A big favorite of my husband.


"Just tell me, & make it the short version. Does all this commotion have anything at all to do with me? No? Then I'm outta here."



Up mix it all. 

 Pour it in the pan. Here's your last chance so take advantage of it: sprinkle more cheese on the surface...
 Set the timer.

You've already preheated the oven. Yes, I should have mentioned this at the beginning, but all you have to do is transport yourself back in time...

Then propel yourself forward to 35 minutes later & voila…



—you're all done! That wasn't so hard at all, was it?

Now I can join Juliette on the couch and continue reading William Gaddis's "Carpenter's Gothic."



No comments:

Post a Comment