My Blog List

Thursday, May 28, 2015

=To the War Dead=

Much to our surprise
the Brooklyn Public Library
is closed all weekend.
We stand side by side
in front of the sign
as if we can’t believe our eyes
as if the longer we look
there’s a chance the words
will surrender a friendlier meaning.
Nope. There it is; inexorable
as a graveyard plaque:
Closed for Memorial Day Weekend.
Shit, what a bummer!
Somewhere inside
on a dark shelf
Joe Brainard is safe
between his covers.
I’ll just have to raid his tomb
another day,
that’s all.
You won’t escape me forever
Joe Brainard. You either,
Franz Wright.
Elaine Equi, I’m coming
back for you!
Sharon Mesmer: consider yourself
READ!
Denied books, we stop
at a fruit market.
There’s a woman
crossing the street.
She’s wearing dirty bib overalls and a pair
of long grizzled braids.
She looks like she’s just come in from hoeing potatoes
in Arkansas
or whatever it is you do with potatoes
wherever it is you do it.
She’s walking two dogs,
looking mighty satisfied with herself.
I wish I were that satisfied with my self
just one afternoon of my life.
I feel like shouting, “you go, girl! Rock
those stained overalls, those gnarly braids,
that little paunch,
those grinning, tongue-lolling dogs."
Back home, we’ll sit
at the kitchen table
and split an orange.
I’ll eat my half bitter skin and all.
It’ll be delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment