My Blog List

Monday, April 20, 2015

=Riding Home with a Busload of Dead Folks=

There was a dead guy
sitting on the bus

in front of me tonight.
He was calling the office

on his cell phone
giving some last minute

instructions to some poor
bastard who worked for him.

He was talking in such a loud,
obnoxious voice I turned

to look if he was disturbing
anyone else. But the woman

across the aisle reading
the NY Times was dead

too and so were the couple
chatting behind her. In fact,

it seemed as if I were the only
living person on the whole

fucking bus. Naturally,
I began to get worried.

I was speeding down the
turnpike in a busload of dead

folks passed a landscape
of petrochemical drums and

mobster swampland. And
then I made the mistake

of looking in the rearview
mirror and seeing the bus

driver’s eyes looking directly
at me. I knew right then I

wasn’t going home alive
that night. It didn’t make a

difference whether he drove
off the bridge or slammed into

a cement mixer. I looked at
my pale reflection in the

darkening window and saw
what he saw: another pale-

faced dead commuter on
her way home to her apartment,

her cat, her microwaved dinner,
her tv, and moonlit sexless bed.

I wanted to laugh but the dead
don’t laugh they just sort of

unhinge their jaws in mute surprise.
Besides, even among the dead

I didn’t want to seem insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment