My Blog List

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

=Book recently read: Please Excuse This Poem: 100 New Poets for the Next Generation Edited by Brett Fletcher Lauer and Lynn Melnick


(in 100 words or less):

This is one of those anthologies that tries maybe too hard to have a little something for everyone. Predictably, then, it had only a little something for me. Most of these poets I'd never read before and will likely never read again. Michael and Matt Dickman are exceptions. They had two of the book's strongest poems. I’ll look for more of their work. I’d already read Patricia Lockwood’s “Rape Joke” elsewhere, but didn’t mind seeing it again; I’ll look for more of her work, too. There were other nice moments, but for the most part, this was pretty run-of-the-mill stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment