My Blog List

Friday, October 31, 2014

=The Great Dissolve=

We were at a public pool in a police state. The sheriff kicked the gate closed and shouted, "You're all under arrest!" There was a lot of energy in the air. Something electric, like ESP. The riot police felt it, too, cantering about on horses, wielding their batons above our heads.

You sauntered to the side of the pool and calmly dove in. I counted off the seconds. No sign of you resurfaced. When I looked over the edge, the water was the color of cold tea. I knew that I could never hold my breath long enough to save you. So I asked someone sitting nearby to jump in for me. To look at him, pale and doughy, you wouldn't suspect he was the heroic type. Nonetheless, he dove in without a second thought; after a time, he came up again, guiding you by the arm. He saved your life.

Well, I concluded, I guess you never know what disguise your knight in shining armor will be wearing.

I wandered outside the main auditorium where they'd set up folding tables. Free brochures were available. Among them were maps of several "free" states. What good would they do me, I thought, who could never find my way anywhere? Still, I took a few. Without being aware of it, I must have voiced my reservations aloud.

"You look adorable when you try to speak Chinese," a man beside me said. 

"Who was trying to do that?" I asked quizzically. Only later did I recognize him as my future husband. 

And the police state? It disappeared slowly. Odorless, tasteless, and invisible. Like a crystalline powder in a glass of cold clear water. Like a spoon, the occasional uprising against it stirred it into seeming non-existence. Did that mean the water wasn't still poisoned? 

Another day would come all the same. We all knew that. 

But when?

We were getting awfully thirsty.




No comments:

Post a Comment