My Blog List

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Pterodactyl

I feel like I’m tending
an anorectic flame
in memory of myself
this wavering will
to live.

Everything threatens it.
Even joy.

The shark moves flat as a coffin on autopilot through the seas of your dreams.

It’s loaded
with bombs that could wipe out
all the life on earth ten times over
but it’s looking for you alone.

How do we just sit there
eating cereal in the morning?
How do we stand so patiently in line
at the DMV?
If this were a horror movie
we'd run for the exit 
ready to lose our lunch.
If this were a love story
it would be the saddest ever told.
Why aren’t we screaming?
Why aren’t we screaming all the time?

Every time you draw that feeling out of me
I stand off to the side amazed
and watch it thunder passed
like a train with a thousand cars
loaded with god-only-knows-what
blowing me backward from the tracks.

Stand there, speechless,
staring in awe in the direction
of the tunnel
into the darkness stretching backward
farther than any eye can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment