My Blog List

Saturday, September 30, 2017



This Poem Has Been Censored by the FBI*

Yesterday I got eaten by a bear.
It wasn’t even a particularly ferocious bear.
More like a natty brown rug
full of cat fur & crumbs propped
up on some old broomsticks.
I think he was even missing some crucial teeth.
Maybe an eye.
I didn’t run very fast trying to get away either.
I made a kind of lazy, left-handed lope of my escape.
I don’t know why. I can’t explain my curious lassitude.
I guess I just didn't care very much. 
I guess I couldn’t be bothered.

I was out hunting 1916 biplanes in the forest.
It's a hobby of mine.
The Sikorsky, the Sopwith, the Halberstadt.
The names roll off the tongue like a mouse pad
& a helmet. 
The Junkers, the Nieuport, the Sopwith Pup.
I had with me a box of tissues, a portable drill press & my untreatable ophthalmophobia.
Yesterday it was—a day a lot like this one.
You could have cut it with a knife,
but who would want to
with the mess it would make?
There. The scene is set.
I don’t know much about the digestive system
of a bear. What I do know
is a lot of useless stuff about Keanu Reeves.
Biplanes are like insults. When you start
looking for them, you find them everywhere.
A bear’s digestive tract is short,
only 40% the length of a normal herbivore.
It cannot digest mature plants.
It’s the cellulose that give it trouble, buster.
Keanu Reeves, however, does not appear to suffer
the same problem.
I wish I’d known all this before I was eaten.
I, myself, have often been accused of immaturity.
You can be the judge of that.
There are a lot of things that have crashed
unheard in the forest
A bear could be one of them.
So could Keanu Reeves.
The supersonic jet of the future will be a biplane
according to the Japanese
who should know as well anyone.
If it flew 100 years ago,
it will fly again.
We must somehow keep the faith.

*The Fucking Bureau of Investigation

No comments:

Post a Comment