My Blog List

Sunday, September 14, 2014

=the red queen=










Alice, the Morning After

What a dope I was not to see
the mountain of escalators going backwards

the Tyrannosaurus head
of nuts and bolts
the desert of creamed corn

& the rats
all those rats
that covered every surface between us
fierce as cherries.

Did I think it would be a cakewalk
with the sun going backwards
down a hall of mirrors
& the pitchforks
all pointing my way?

When I woke up at last
there was a commotion in the hall
the hotel was burning
and the staff informed me
that a Mr. Lightning Bolt had called
in the night.
I rolled out of bed
the floor was covered with sea urchins
and the air smelled of onions.
I was seeing double
but the two images didn't match.

I reached you by phone
hoping to explain
but when I opened my mouth
something like the soundtrack
of all the devils in the world came out.
I sat there looking at the hands
lying like plaster casts in my lap
and laughed along.

There was a beating on the door
and a frantic man insisting
"Your head is ready!
Your head is ready!"

What could I possibly have said to that?
I'm asking you,
yes, you! 
Well, I didn't know either.
So I said nothing. 

Eventually, he went away.


No comments:

Post a Comment