My Blog List

Sunday, November 3, 2013

=mail art from Michael Orr, Atlanta Georgia=




These two pieces come from Atlanta artist Michael Orr, who tags his art "cornpone" for reasons that slip in and out of the wide-cast net of my comprehension. The first piece is a "thank you" for the envelope of stuff I sent him out of a general admiration for his work. It is an intentionally blurred xeroxed photo of Michael himself (or so I assume) which conflates Warhol's 15-minute of fame dictum and the artistic tradition of self-portraiture to its logical conclusion: elevating the artist him/herself into celebrity-status iconography--or, perhaps, "ironicgraphy." It can be great fun and, as in this case, occasionally result in a truly "iconographic" piece. I find Michael's photo really does have the  irresistible charismatic appeal of something like the famous Che photo, for instance.

The second piece is representative of Michael's brilliant collage work, more examples of which can be found at his own site located at cornpone.tumblr.com, which I highly recommend you do right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment